A Gay Dad Sounds Off on Hysterical Clerics about Same Sex Marriage

ImageI should not be surprised.  The Catholic Church has, in the past, defined gay people as “intrinsically disordered” and parents like myself as “doing violence” to our children for providing them love and a home.

So why does Seattle archbishop J. Peter Sartain’s hyperbole set my teeth chattering?

Most of us have heard all the empty ringing arguments against same sex marriage.  The play “8” draws them all out as they were presented in the California court case against proposition 8.   Intelligently.

There is nothing intelligent in Sartain’s video.  He says, “To suddenly change the God-given and time honored understanding of marriage would be a very harmful thing for our state and for the world. Should marriage be redefined in our state the very foundational nature of marriage for the good and strength of human society would be harmed beyond repair.”

All I can say to that is…. “cut the crap”.  There are so many things wrong in this brief statement… let’s count them.  Just for fun.

1.  “to suddenly”    How is change to an institution that is constantly evolving “sudden”.  Marriage has only been done “for love” for the last hundred or so years.  Arranged marriages were the rule before that.  People of mixed races could not marry.  The marriage was not between two full members of society able to own property.  Marriage change is anything BUT “sudden”.
  2. “God-given and time honored understanding of marriage”   The Bible presents marriage between brother and sister, a man and two sisters, a king and hundreds of women and single men.  Which of these represents the G-g and t-h version?  He must mean the God-given and time honored since the 1950s version.  He should say so then.
  3. “very harmful thing for our state and for the world”.  I don’t live in Washington, so I can’t speak for the delicate balance of life there.  It seemed pretty darn sturdy on my vacations when I had the fortune to swing through.  But…”the world”?  Canada has it.  Much of the Northeast has it.   Nothing bad has happened.  So…Sartain is saying that all of a sudden (to literally quote him) WASHINGTON getting same sex marriage is THE place to harm the world.  No offense to the people I love in Washington, but I really was unaware of your huge worldly significance.
  4. “the very foundational nature of marriage for the good and strength of human society would be harmed beyond repair”  This is just a lie.  The physical qualities of people are not “foundational natures” of anything.  The nature is the spirit, principles and commitment that are being brought.  Those are not changing…they are being reinforced.  Gay families exist.  Washington allowing them to be more legally sound will only make them stronger.  Strong families will encourage more strong families… opposite sex ones.   Sartain is just out and out lying here.

It bothers me when a man of God goes hysterical like this.  The one thing I expect of him, even if I don’t agree with him, is to stand up for principles.  This kind of hysteria is dishonest… and Godless.

I really want to make a quip about him being a drama queen, but I really find it depressing to see anyone drop all the good principles they could stand for just so they can maintain their prejudice.  I’m sad.

Please like us on Facebook here.

About robw77

A single gay dad who cares. His story can be read here: http://www.imagaysingleparent.com/2013/02/02/rob/ and here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/31/rob-watson-gay-family_n_4689661.html
This entry was posted in Civil Rights, Gay Christians, Marriage equality, Politics, Prejudice, Religion, Uncategorized, US Politics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to A Gay Dad Sounds Off on Hysterical Clerics about Same Sex Marriage

1. Terry Ryan says:

take the 2 a’s out of the archbishop’s surname and that is closer to who he represents

2. Wit says:

I know you meant well at the end of your post but being a ‘man of god’ is by no means something to hold in any kind of high regard. It’s a meaningless title inferred on an institution of religion that has repeatedly shown it makes no significant contribution to one’s character, moral, civil or otherwise.

3. kzottarelli says:

this makes me very sad too. hypocrites, wherever they are, do more damage, but especially the ones that are held in some kind of supposed higher standard. The catholic church needs to shut up since they don’t have any credibility in my eyes, when they let child molesters continue to preach, teach and work around children, and did their best to hide those abusers .

4. Missus Tribble says:

This makes me think harder on the conundrum that is my mother and stepdad’s view on same-sex marriage. They are aware that my sister is bisexual and polyamorous but that’s okay because she’s marrying a man. My gay cousin, on the other hand… well, he’s been with his long-term partner for many years now and I expressed my opinion that they should be allowed the same human rights as a man and a woman when it comes to getting married. My stepdad started quoting the Bible at me (or at least, all the homophobic parts he could think of) – but looked confused when my husband quoted “Thou shalt not wear mixed fibres”, because he hadn’t heard that one! My husband then went on with “Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live” and asked both of them if that meant they’d want me stoned to death (I’m Wiccan, and therefore a witch). Obviously they said no.

So they wear mixed fibres, eat pork and fish, don’t believe that witchcraft or homosexuality are evil, but it’s wrong for a same-sex couple in love to be allowed to marry?

Religion: probably the most hypocritical thing to come from the minds of man since… forever.

5. Peter Clamp says:

The Catholic Church sanctimoniously pontificating on the supposed moral threat of gay marriage when they deliberately covered up clerical child abuse is hypocrisy to the nth degree.

6. Nathaniel Brown says:

Christians can, and do support marriage equality:

Mark your calendar for Sunday, October 21, and join us at Trinity Episcopal Parish, Seattle, for our 11th annual Matthew Shepard Memorial Sermon. This year our guest preacher will be The Revd. Stan Fowler, who will preach on “Marriage Equality is the Gospel mandate for our time.” Please bring your family and friends to hear our message of Christian support for marriage equality.

Father Stan served as a parish priest for 32 years in churches in California and Washington state. He retired in 2004 after having served as the rector of St. Andrew’s, Seattle, for 22 years. He has served for the past two years as the Associate for Christian Formation at Trinity, which has included teaching adult education classes.
    Fr. Stan will be available at Coffee Hour after each service, to answer questions.

Services are at 8:00 and 10:30 AM, and all are welcome. Trinity is a proudly Open and Affirming congregation.

Trinity is located at 609 8th (8th and James). Parking for Trinity services, concerts, and other parish events is located in the parking garage at Skyline at First Hill. The entrance to the garage is located on Columbia Street between 8th and 9th Avenues.

7. waterlexeme says:

Catholic priests being experts in marriage and all? All they know about sex and relationships is hyperbole – usually highly sanctimonious hyperbole at that. Don’t you just love it when the Church goes all hysterically, pearl-clutching and self-righteous? Honestly, I think the tide of history is such now that we can just ignore this sort of nonsense. Twenty years ago this was more or less a mainstream view based on people not knowing much or thinking about it – marinating in negative social stereotyping. Now, that gay people have started being more open and stroppy, most people are starting to view this type of hysteria as the ranting of crazy people. I look down the next twenty years and all I see are people trying to understand what all the fuss was about, since the only logical outcome for having legal same-sex marriage is a slightly more inclusive society and, oh yes, a few more people getting married. Marriage equality will make the world of difference to gay people’s lives and cause barely a ripple in anyone elses. Marriage equality has no downside. It harms absolutely no one. It will just create a lot of happiness.